Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Close, but not that close!

Lately the idea of shaving like men before me did has consumed my life. After reading an article by Corey Greenburg, the Today Show consumer reporter, about a new trend of men using double edge safety razors to shave http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6886845/. Corey promotes the use of a double edge (DE) safety razor as well as some other "old school" products. Well, being the trendy man I am, I had to get on board. I ordered, a heavy steal DE safety razor, a new shave brush, new shave cream, and plenty of replacement blades. As my anticipation grew, while the package was being shipped, I thought about a close, fresh shave. One like my granddad had in a barber shop.

The package came yesterday afternoon, and as soon as I got home I took the new diggs for a spin. Lathered up and ready to cut those pesky hairs, I went to work. Carefully gliding the blade along my face with the short, light strokes as instructed in about a billion web blogs dedicated to the subject.

I cleaned up a few nicks and felt like I had the closest shave ever. But let me be the first to tell you, it was REALLY close. So close, I got a nice case of razor burn!

Oh well, I suppose that's the learning curve, I'll give it a shot again tonight.

No comments: