Thursday, July 31, 2008

Calling Paul Bunyan!

I am guessing that you have seen the picture from yesterdays post. If not, go here. That is my neighbor's tree that fell across his yard and way into mine! Argh.

Let me back up a little. It all started Tuesday. I got home a little early to do some work around the yard. Just after Dede and I mowed the grass et.al., a typical summer shower came along. We were so excited for the rain. But wait! It got worse and worse. Then the hail came and we began to wonder what was really going on. After many minutes of watching the rain fall and wind blow like crazy, we heard a huge crash. I actually thought it was our deck furniture that turned over. Upon inspection, the deck furniture was fine and I saw it. My apple tree broke a branch. Dang!

We watched the storm a little more and then I passed by the window to our back yard and noticed something that I hadn't before. Not only did my apple tree break, there was a huge tree on top of it. That was the big crash we heard.

Well, after it was all said and done, Hot Wife got home, and since we were out of power, Dede took Baby O to her house. Hot wife and I took food over to the T's to keep cold in their fridge. Thanks T's! They offered to keep us up for the night, but Hot Wife and I had an urge to be at our home during this time of uncertainty. So we went. With no power in the house, it got pretty warm, so sleeping in the same room was out of the question. I took the couch and she took the bed, and we listened to the chainsaws and workers all night! Yippy skippy! I am sure you can imagine we didn't get but about an hour of sleep in six ten-minute sessions.

The power company and their tree service guys were crazy. One guy was yelling at the tree all night. "I'm gonna cut you!". In the light of the situation we were in, Hot Wife and I thought that it was pretty funny to hear.

Yesterday, we cut up the debris and took it to the street and today a tree surgeon, our own personal Paul Bunyan, will handle the rest. Overall, we were inconvenienced, but it could have been much worse. The tree could have fallen on more property or even hurt someone.

I'll try to take more pics of the workers today and post a follow up.

2 comments:

The Weathers Report said...

That is a gigantic tree! I was imagining much smaller. Thanks for the photo of it. I want to hear more about the tree being cut down all night. Glad you all are unharmed and safe, house and all.

Anonymous said...

Very cool, Sam-U-L. When all those hurricanes came thru FL in 04, I got pretty good with a chainsaw. Good times! :)

Hane$