Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Really That Dependant???

My office email, which is my primary email, has been out for two days now. I really didn't understand how much we depend on email for communication these days. I'm not one of those "check it all the time" kind of guys. I have trained myself to only check email around meal times. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner, that's it! I have found that only checking email three times a day reduces the distractions of a constant barrage of email. Well, now I understand how it feels to have zero distractions in my office -- not so great. Now I feel like I am missing out on the goings on in the outside world.

I mean, I don't know the outcome of the trip my collage buddies take each year, or my favorite blogs update, not to mention the important stuff from clients and customers.

I'm really stranded here without email or a lifeboat to save me!

So, what's the result of this adventure? We'll call it an adventure just to keep a positive spin on things. I have learned - no relearned - how to use the fax machine. Yep, the good old fax. I told someone today that I was going to fax them a document, and they replied, "I'd prefer you email it".

I said, "I will be glad to email it, but the internet is against my office today, and it won't make it to you."

"You don't have email?"

"Not today..."

It's like I'm that guy who wears black socks and Birkenstock's to the beach, and clearly doesn't know any better. Except in this case, I know what it's like on the other side - with email. I just can't get there!

So here I am. My fingers have must be exercised properly as to not fatigue themselves with the lack of email reply.

~S~

No comments: