Thursday, June 05, 2008

Covered with the presence of prayer.

Okay guys and gals, I know I am usually pretty low-key and light-hearted with the blog, but today I feel inspired to share a little more.

A few weeks ago, you might remember that I am walking steps to take off weight in preparation for some medical treatment. Well, the details are probably important... I have a liver disease known as Hepatitis C. It's a pretty undetectable disease since those that have it usually show no outward signs. I discovered it about eight years ago when applying for life insurance. Don't apply for life insurance, it will hurt your health! Just kidding. Okay so I absolutely can't blog a completely serious post! Anyway, since finding out about the disease, I have been paying much attention to eating and drinking things that will not harm my liver any further. That has shown very good results, however, the disease has continued to attack my liver.

A month ago, I went to the doctor who runs annual test which usually consist of just blood work. This year we had decided to take the test an extra step and have a biopsy administered to conclusively show the stage of the disease. In preparation for the biopsy, I had a CT Scan to show a picture of my liver. To make a long story shorter, the CT Scan showed evidence that more damage had been done than we expected. Whoa! No biopsy needed and that's not necessarily a good thing.

The recommendation of the doctor is to not prolong any longer taking the treatment which consists of two medications for a combination therapy. Well, that messed up "our" plans. We wanted another baby or two before addressing treatment, but we trust the doctor and will follow his advise.

Anyway, that is the background about what's going on. But, the most important message I have for today is that I feel completely surrounded by prayer. For weeks now our Sunday school class has been praying and including the information about me in our newsletter. Additionally, this week the pastor over my class asked me to go to lunch and pray, and just last night, our community pastor called for prayer. I know that seems like a lot of pastors et.al., but you've got to understand that we go to a church with over 4,000 members, I am truly impressed how organized they all are!

That's it; right? Nope. Just this morning a lady from the church who's husband serves at the missions pastor called to share with me her experiences. Her brother has battled the disease. Successfully! She contacted him and he has offered his support. I feel her prayers as well.

Ya'll, I absolutely have never felt this way before. I actually feel my church, local and universal, supporting me and I am so thankful that God has provided his church for me. My message is very simple, if you have a friend in need of ANYTHING, pray for them. I am on the receiving end today -- it's the truth I feel it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love you guys! We're prepared to walk this journey of chemo with you in so many ways but most importantly in prayer! MT

Val said...

Wow, I had no idea about this Sam. I'm glad that you posted this, so that we, too, can pray for you...ya'll. I also know what a true blessing it is to be on the receiving end of an abundance of prayer- it made all the difference when Dad died.

Sam Duffey said...

Thanks a ton guys. We are keeping our spirits up, but at the same time anxious to get the whole thing started.

jessica said...

Know Joey and I are praying for you and the family too!

MaryMartha said...

We are praying for you and looking forward to many relaxing lake trips to recoup for a weekend! Love ya'll!

Summer said...

hey sam and amy...found your blog through the weathers...must have been God's way to let us know about this need..we'll definitely be praying for you...please keep us posted! summer o'neal