Tuesday, June 10, 2008

What's the Goal here?

Why do we pray for healing? Hot Wife and I were faced with this question after an anointing service given to me by some pastors and elders of our church. The pastor explained that the oil has no supernatural or medicinal properties and then administers it to my head all the while the other men are laying hands on me and praying. The instruction for this service comes from the Book of James
14Is any one of you sick? He should call the elders of the church to pray over him and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord. 15And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up. If he has sinned, he will be forgiven. 16Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.
The prayers were for (1) supernatural healing, (2) healing through the medications, and (3) glory for God's kingdom.

------------------------------------------------

On our way home, Hot Wife and I were wondering why we pray for healing when ultimately our glory (heaven) is only by way of death. In light of that, why do we pray for healing, when healing would only prolong one from reaching glory with our Savior?

Is death the goal? No. Death is victory, not the goal. In light of the truth and benefits of heaven that which I believe, I would not want me, Hot Wife, Baby O, or any believer to spend one extra second here on earth if it meant that it was one less second that they could spend with their savior. So again, why do we pray for health? Well, death is not the goal, and guess what, life isn't either. So what's the goal here?

Glorification of Jesus.

Our goal no matter what is to be a vessel through which God can bring glorification to His kingdom. That it. Complete. Nothing more. Nothing less.

I am reminded of my marriage vows. You know... Rich. Poor. Sickness. Health. And so on. God made ALL types of people. Rich ones. Poor ones. Big, small, healthy, sick, black, white, smart, and not so. All of which He has given abundant ability to bring glory to Himself. In simple terms it's not about us, it's about Him.

So when we pray for health, we pray for God to use every bit of us that He ordains to glorify Him. There's absolutely nothing wrong about praying for good things all as long as it's surrounded by the trust that we have in the belief that through ALL things He will be glorified. Successful or unsuccessful with these treatments??? We don't know. But in all things; in my house, He will be glorified and we will trust His provisions and sovereignty over our lives.

Guys and girls, sorry again for the deep message here. I'll try to lighten it up a little in future posts. I just had it on my heart to share.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So grateful for this blog and the insights into your thoughts :) Praying with you for supernatural healing that God will be glorified thru!! The Trolards

Sam Duffey said...

Awesome MT. The Duffey's are cool with any circumstance that's in front of us. I think... :-)

Anonymous said...

Hello, Sam! This is Phyllis Snipes (and husband Lance). I just heard about your blog from my "soul sister" Melissa, from the old Carrollton High days.

I need to tell you that Lance will put out a prayer request for you - he has a prayer group that covers the globe. We've served in Israel (7 months), Moldova, South America, and other places...he has a group that is fervent about prayer, and we will place you and your precious family on this list. We BELIEVE in the POWER of prayer. If we don't ask, we can't receive. So, we will be ON OUR KNEES for you, asking for your healing and for your peace through this. When I say we'll be on our knees, I mean that literally! He hears the prayers of His people - you have much work to do for the Kingdom! Even though I've not met your sweet wife (or Hot Wife as you call her ;-) she's still precious to us because she's connected to you and Melissa!

Sorry I've rambled so, but we will post that request, and we'll be anxious to hear about the miracles God performs in your lives. I love you, Sam, and have loved you sort of like a Mom since high school! Please keep me and Lance posted on what's happening. We'll keep the prayers from around the world going!! Much love, Phyllis and Lance

Amy said...

Wow. I love to read the entries my great husband has to say. I think he could be a preacher.
Anyway thank you to all who are commenting and most of all the prayers. It is such inspiration to us both.
Thank you and we love you.

jc1 said...

Sam, thanks for the good word. I couldn't agree with you more.

Sam Duffey said...

Thank you all for the feedback!

Dr. Mitchell thanks for your kind note, and you know that the prayers are appreciated and thankfully heard.

I have so many hopes through this treatment, but one of them is that for at least someone to realize a source of strength in me that cannot come from me alone. Clear as mud?

Oh yeah, Hot Wife, preacher??? Really???