Tuesday, December 02, 2008

The Old Heel-toe Technique

Band nerds, you can probably follow me pretty well with this post. Others, you may need some explanation.

Yesterday, I was walking through my house very quietly. That is what you do with a sleeping baby and a desperate need for quiet adult time. You see our house is a great old house that was built in the 1950's. It is so charming with the original hardwood floors. The problem is that old hardwood floors aren't the most discrete especially in a quiet house.

That's when I realized it. I am a much quieter walker than Hot Wife! Then I remembered my special training band camp. One of the first things a young band nerd learns is to walk softly using the heel-toe technique which allows a smooth movement thus quality marching and sound. Wow! I had a nerd flashback.

So, for those of you who want to know how to do the heel-toe or maybe you need a refresher, here's the steps (ha I made a funny).
  1. From a standing position, take a step forward with your left foot. The step should be a comfortable pace about 12 to 18 inches in distance.
  2. The impact point for the first step should be soft and on the heel of your foot.
  3. With a arcing motion, the weight of your left foot should move toward the front. Simultaneously, your right foot should be beginning to bear some weight toward the front lifting the heel off the ground.
  4. Once your left foot can comfortably bear most of your weight evenly, then proceed with a step forward with your right foot being sure to land on the heel.
  5. Just like the left foot roll your arch toward the front of your foot evenly distributing weight and begin back stepping with your left foot.
  6. Repeat over and over.
I know it sounds complicated, but each step should be comfortable. The key is a soft rolling motion that keeps your legs, waist, and upper body still.

A good quality gate is one more reason why I believe band nerds will eventually rule the world.

2 comments:

Amy said...

So are you trying to tell me I need to follow your directions and learn to be a quite walker. Too bad you don't have directions on how to keep your wife quite in the mouth. You know how I love to talk. Sorry and your child will need those instructions too.

Jen said...

Don Hall only teaches the best! Glad to know that someone is still using that technique. Maybe when I have kids it'll come back to me....
-Jen Martin